Thursday, March 12, 2009

A month ago today I left to come here. A month ago today I was in St. Louis, already having read that my flight to L.A. was cancelled. That could have been the biggest obstacle regarding my airline experience and I would have been okay with that, but of course not. A month ago today I was sitting at gate C6 trying to watch “Nights in the Rodanthe”on my laptop but was overwhelmingly distracted by the round man across from me yelling at his wife. I knew he hit her. I could see it in his eyes; I could see it in hers. And I wanted to attack him. I figured starting a domestic dispute with a couple I was about to enter an aircraft with was not in my best interest so I ignored all my intuitions and continued to pretend to watch my movie. A month ago today I did not know “De La Monstor” even existed. (By the way, I watched Casino Royale… yeah  Daniel Craig… and that is what I flew over on. A Boeing 747.) A month ago today this was almost real, but not quite. Not quite tangible.

But now it is. Now I know my way around and can probably give you directions to most locations in the city.  I have a coffee shop preference and I found a good place to buy fresh bread. I know what time everything closes because I am always pushing closing time. I know where three libraries are. I can use the metro system, hail a cab, and recite my address and my phone number. So I guess I feel like I live here now.

I’ve been here a month and honestly haven’t got a lot to tell. I have spent a ridiculous amount of time doing very mundane things such as thinking, reading and writing. But I am very okay with this. While I feel I am rather equipped for this kind of experience, I think I willingly admitted to myself that I was lonely around the second week. And I am okay with this too. Where I certainly am lonely at times, I have experienced extreme feelings of ecstasy regarding my solitude. And I wouldn’t trade them.

But I feel the sitting and pondering is going to cease. I now have to go to class every day and think about writing papers and taking exams. And I am ready to see and experience more, or at least from an outside view. 

I went to a comedy event last night as part of the Fringe Festival that is going on here. It is quite apparent that people everywhere are ecstatic George W. Bush is no longer the president of the United States

You should go here if you want a $9.95 truffle.

Photobucket 

I spent a good three hours here. haha.

Photobucket

I took my flowers from Jethro and decided I was going to dry some of them out. Usuing my limited resources I came up with this. haha. It looks like I have some kind of shrine going on over my toilet.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. YOU are truly INCREDIBLE.
    and, of course, i miss you like mad. but couldn't be happier that you are experiencing this. living this. being this.

    bring home Ikea. the whole store. ;)

    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. You make your mama proud!
    The Lord has blessed us with a wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete