I have been here three and a half months. I get anxious when I consider that. I should quit paying attention to time as it will only hold me back. I'm looking forward to traveling around Oz after I get out of school. And I'm also looking forward to going home. Being out here reminds me of all the things I love (and equally, hate) about the United States. It is really easy to bash it, but all I'm saying is that I could seriously go for a Starbucks and even a Wal*Mart. And I miss having Mexican food everywhere and walking on the right (yes, pun intended haha) side. Mostly I just desire to be in a comfortable situation with my friends, in my city, on our terms. I was prepared for change and directed to look at things as different, and to avoid trying to compare them. This has served me well. But I really like choices. I really like cheap things. I really like my friends and family. I really like Indianapolis. And I really, seriously like my bed. I am not ready to leave yet, but it feels great to know all of these things are waiting for me at home. And it feels great that I've been able to put all of them in perspective. It's good when you have life altering experiences like this because it doesn't allow you to take things for granted. It takes you out of your comfortable box and puts all your belongings in front of you. Then it says, "Here. Sort through all your stuff and only collect the good stuff, the precious stuff; the stuff you care about and the stuff that cares about you. And leave all that other bull shit behind."
Nothing is as good as it seems, but nothing is as bad as it seems either. Embrace.
Saturday, May 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Well, I have to admit I miss you, too, Boo. I love your introspection of your adventure and look forward to hearing more. Perhaps Dorothy (also in Oz, haha) did have something when she said, "There's no place like home."
ReplyDeleteYou are Incredible.
ReplyDeleteAnd this almost made me cry.
Love you.
i agree with brit. my eyes aren't dry. oh dear, i want to see you! i'm so glad it's time!
ReplyDelete